Equity Policy Statement
"Sutton and Cheam Swimming Club respects the rights, dignity and worth
of every person and is committed to treat everyone equally regardless of
age, gender, ability, disability, ethnicity, religious belief, sexual orientation,
social/economic status or political persuasion"
Equal Opportunity in Swimming
'Equal Opportunity in swimming and water polo is about celebrating difference
and diversity and as such providing a structure that can respond to this
in a proactive and positive manner'.
Addressing Equal Opportunities
In addressing equal opportunities, Sutton and Cheam Swimming Club will
ensure that equity (as stated in the club rules) is incorporated into
all aspects of its activities, and in doing so, recognises and adopts
the following Sport England definition of Sports Equity:
"Sports equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access,
recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about
changing the culture and structure of sport to ensure it becomes equally
accessible to all members of society"
Sutton and Cheam Swimming Club also supports the following four key principals
as being fundamental to ensuring equity in our sport.
Entitlement: People have a right to participate in and access
quality and appropriate experiences within swimming and water polo.
Accessibility: It is the responsibility of the club to adapt
provision to fit the needs of the many.
Inclusion: Wherever and whenever possible, we will make every
effort to ensure all have access to the same quality of provision, and
if necessary, we will use positive action to ensure this:
Integrity: Whatever we do as a club in changing or adopting
provision, it must be of equal worth, challenging, relevant and in no
In addressing these key principles, Sutton and Cheam Swimming Club and
all its members undertake to respond to issues of equity by:
- Recognising that swimming and water polo are 'Sports for all'. They
can and should be enjoyed and made accessible to everyone.
- Positively encouraging involvement, membership and participation from
all sectors of the community, regardless of their gender, race, disability,
age and social background, ensuring that swimming is accessible to the
many rather than the few
- Acknowledging that equal opportunity is about recognising that people
are different and therefore require different provision
- Taking positive action to increase the involvement from under represented
groups in all aspects of our club
- recognising that as a club, we need to adapt and work flexibly in
order to respond to the needs of a wide and diverse range of people.
- Promoting an open and honest culture that values diversity and promotes
equality of opportunity
- Ensuring that everyone feels a valued member of our club
- Opposing discriminatory behaviour and dealing with any incidence of
discriminatory behaviour seriously, according to the ASA's 'Code of
Ethics' and the Club disciplinary procedures.
Teaching and Coaching
In our training and development of Teachers and Coaches, we will strive
to ensure that they:
- Adopt, promote and practice the principals and practices of equal
- Promote positive images of people with Special needs.
- Are committed to providing entitlement and access to all their professional
- Encourage high expectations and standards of achievement from all
- Involve everyone in meaningful and appropriate activity to ensure
a quality experience.
- Help everyone to achieve their full potential.
- Ensure that participation can be enjoyed by all.
To download the Club's Equity Policy in Acrobat (pdf) format, click